Monday, January 10, 2011

List of Possible Internships

Like my list of ideas for what to do over the 6 week summer holiday, I had compiled a list of possible internships. We were told at one of our very first classes that our ideas would change at least twelve times and to keep an open mind throughout the year. I think my ideas changed thirty-seven times and yes, I did indeed have a very open mind to what I could do.

Food Photography
Food Styling
Cookbook Production
Recipe Development
Jamie Oliver Limited
Eco-Friendly Hotels (preferably in SE Asia, but also looked into the UK and Southern Italy)
Writing for Food/Travel/Restaurant Guides
Growing Spicy Peppers in Argentina, Thailand or Tunisia
Traditional Wild Boar Hunting in Tuscany
Making Vodka in Poland or New Zealand
Instituto Espanol de Gastronomia
Mercato Barcellona-Boqueria
Mussel Farming (did that in Friulli, check)
Growing Coffee in a plantation in Central/South America
Working on a Vineyard in Argentina
Food Tourism in Italy
International Water Project in Africa
Studying the Menus at the NY Public Library
Producing Salt in Wales
Tutti Piccante Self Study in Calabria
The School of Artisan Food
Accademia Italiana del Peperoncino
Making Yak Cheese in Tibet
Saving the Robinson Crusoe Island Seafood off the coast of Chile after meeting fishermen at Salone del Gusto
Hanging out in Donegal for 2 months and coming up with some thesis paper.
Working at Pallavicina
Self Study of the foods of Emilia-Romagna**
Food and Wine Consulting
Self Study aka Island Vacation with my friends

Note to future students: although you may feel as though you have all the power in the world to save the world with your degree, you still have to pay 2-months rent for your apartment during the internship and there is no additional funding. Yes, students have and are doing fantastic, fascinating things with their internships and I'm excited about mine too. I will be working at a family-owned restaurant in town called Al Vedel. I'm not really sure what I'll be doing there and hope I can handle restaurant life and hours again. They have a seasonal menu with local products highlighting the regional cuisine, an impressive wine collection and even make their own culatello. I'm looking forward to cooking and learning more about the regional foods that we have learned so much in class and from living here for the last ten months (see above **). I think it will be tough, but I also think it will be good for me because I would go crazy during the winter in this small town. so, fingers crossed!

...and these are just the ones I remembered/bookmarked...

No comments: