Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Things I've learned So Far in my Internship part 4:

.....my week in dolce....

To get pomegranate juice, cut it in half, cover with a cheese cloth and squeeeeeeeze.
That if you want something done correctly, you have to show me. Not just tell me. I'm a visual learner.
Microwaves are associated with fast, prepared, frozen food which is why I associated them with cheating. But they actually are time savers.
Shake-Weights are unnecessary when you've got zabaglione to make.
How to make zabaglione filled chocolate truffle balls. Molded Shells. Filling Stuffed. Sealed Fingerprint-less.
How to make almond biscotti.
How to make a pastry shell.
How to make pastry dough.
To make lemon curd filling you need 10 lemons, zest of half the lemons, 400g of lemon juice, a buttload of sugar and 10 eggs. Then whip it...for over forty (yes, 40) minutes by hand (yes, by hand) until it goes from 14C to 84C. Then, add 750 grams of butter. Whip some more. Healthy. Really. Delicious. Better if you don't know the ingredients.
That even if you think your arm could fall off, it won't.
To remember to prick pastry dough before putting it in the oven.
How to use the ice cream machine!
That a teaspoon can be used to make balls of apple.
balls = palle.
Mandarines have seeds. Clementines don't.
That no one leaves until everyone's prep work is done. Everyone works together.
That Europeans want to go to America. Americans want to stay in Europe. They don't understand why we don't want to go back.
Blank stares are universally understood.
Virgin Radio loves Katy Perry.
37 eggs make 680grams of egg yolk.
Milk boils very fast.
I know nothing about the metric system.
Or math...
How to make individual tiramisu. It's very delicate.
How to hold a pastry bag without getting the cream inside too warm.
That, yes indeed, I am still allergic to kiwi's.
Kiwi in English is Kiwi in Italiano.
Pecorino is sheep's cheese. Pecorina is not the feminine form. Pecorine does not mean many sheep.
It's either done when it's 84C or known from eye sight.
How to make a Torta Diplomatica. And that diplomatica means....shrug.
Even though I think my Italian is pretty good, I don't know the difference if someone is telling me to do something, or explaining it to me.
I like the explaining.
Sugar. Butter. Milk. Eggs. Water. Cream. and a Whisk. Can't go wrong...
Roberto รจ un artista.
I like the dessert station.

No comments: