Friday, September 16, 2011

Charred Sweet Corn & Fregula


I fell in love with Fregula pasta after making the "tomato party" salad. I was in New York last weekend, after a bachelorette weekend and a bridal shower in Long Island, I stayed over night in my parent's apartment instead of driving home to take advantage of visiting the city. I went to mum's favorite shop, Kalustyan's, and bought some interesting grains and spices and goodies - including some more fregula. But this time, instead of making the tomato party salad again - like I have all summer - I found a recipe in Mario Batalli's Babbo Cookbook for Charred Sweet Corn and Fregula. I had sweet corn. I had fregula. Perfect.


And I must say, the juicy sweet corn kernels combined with the chewy little pasta dots are just a perfect combo - they are the same size and just melt in your mouth. I add more spices than his recipe called for - some basil and dill and hot red peppers flakes - and then with the leftovers, I sauteed some garlic in avocado oil with broccoli and then added the leftovers to warm up....and boy, oh boy.  delicious.


I hate the word "mouth-feel" when describing food, but there is something about the juicy charred sweet corn and the chewy fregula that is just so comforting and the flavors make you want fall to come and warm up inside while eating it.


Charred Sweet Corn & Fregula
*From Mario Batalli


1 1/2 cups fregula pasta (not a grain, but an ancient pasta from Italy made from semolina. It is courser than couscous)
2 ears corn, shucked
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 stock
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Regiano
Dried basil, dill, red chili flakes
Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil with 1 tbsp salt. Cook the fregula until somewhat tender, but not cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. Drain and run under cold water and let dry. Brush the ears of corn with oil, season with salt and pepper and grill (or broil) until the sides are nicely charred and the kernels are about to burst. Remove with tongs and when cool enough to handle, remove the kernels with a sharp knife directly into a large saute pan. Add the fregula and stock to the pan and cook over high heat until the stock boils and is absorbed into the pasta, about 5 minutes. Add the cheese, herbs, and season, tossing for about another minute.
The juicy, sweet corn kernels and the chewy fregula pasta are about the same size, making it a winning, fall-warming dish.

No comments: