Thursday, January 5, 2012

Goodbye 2011, Hello 2012.

The end of 2011 ended with an entire month in Ireland (ok, 3 days in Northern Ireland). The start of 2012 started in Ireland. 2012 may or may not be the end of the world. That saying, 2012 may or may not be a good idea to go half way around the world.
Mum arrived 3 days after me. Dad and Jess arrived the Friday before Christmas. We celebrated Christmas Eve, Christmas Day on Sunday, charades & games, Christmas again on Tuesday with the cousins, holiday cocktail party, trivia night, 80's/90's night at Roonies, New Years Eve, my Birthday, New Years Dip, birthday dinner.
28. Let's not talk about it.

Now everyone is gone.

Three days later - weather permitting- I finally decide to leave the house. For over an hour and a half the sun graciously shone, not a spit of rain or hail stone descended from the January sky while I was outside. The wind, however, was as persistant as ever. In terms of getting some excercise, this means: run in one direction, powerwalk the other way back. The blowing sand stuck to my black yoga pants and Northface pullover, my un-straightened hair tangled in the wind, and my lungs embraced the crisp ocean air. Over the sand dunes, the golfers persevered and I wondered how they could muster up the strength to hit the tiny white ball into the forceful gale winds. It seemed utterly useless to me. But I turned around and looked out upon the thrashing waves breaking the sea, and thought, Killahoey sure does heal the soul. The wind is so loud that it creates a rushing silence so that you cannot focus on anything else, barely hearing your own thoughts. The only thing I could think (despite as many life-changing, world-realization type thoughts you think could be had) was how lucky I was and how special this place was. As I faced the oncoming winds heading home, I wondered if my kids (don't laugh Jess) would ever get to experience Dunfanaghy as it is or what it would be like in a few years. I wondered if I'd ever be able to express what this place means to me, to my family. Regardless of where we leave to, the rhythem of the ocean's waves will continue to constantly play their mesmerizing melody against the sand, still going on and on, minding it's own business, until we come back again. 

 As of today, there are 12 days until I arrive in Perth Australia, 11 days till I spend thirteen hours in the Singapore airport, 10 days until my flight takes off, 9 days until I'm in London and get to see Arina, which means 8 more full days here in Ireland. I miss my family tremendously. Even though they seem far away in America, my heart tightens when I think how much further away they will be, how far I will be halfway across the world. Literally.

Then I think about how much food is left here that I have to eat before I leave! I am not a waster of food. Which is a bad thing, because despite the hour and forty minutes I spent outside today, the only thing I have consumed are 2 cups of coffee, a couple vitamins, and some accompaning glasses of water. The amount of cheese in our fridge, my goodness you'd think I'd be the happiest person to be left with that much, but it is Beach Weather in Australia. The amount of cheese we've eaten here this past month would probably turn anyone vegan as an excuse for a cheese-detox. I LOVE CHEESE.

So as much as I miss my family, I have appreciated the two week detox. As much as I wish the wind didn't damage the Sky box, I read an entire 347 page book in one day. As much as I love this place, I can't wait for summertime in Australia!!

No comments: