Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A visit to Kings Park

One of the touristy things I've been meaning to do in Perth, and I'm not sure why I put it off - maybe waiting for a weather-perfect day, maybe waiting for my camera to get fixed, maybe waiting for a friend to go with me, maybe not sure how to get there, or maybe not wanting to cross off the last of things to see and do in Perth - is to go to Kings Park. In particular, I wanted to go on the Federation Walkway, a raised boardwalk which brings you through the trees with views of the Swan River.

So, on a sunny day when I didn't have work until half six that night, Ted and I set off to Perth's biggest park - bigger than Central Park in fact. Located west of the city, the views of downtown Perth were quite spectacular. It was a lovely stroll for a winter's day, warm in the sun and cool in the shade, and the park was full of families, couples, kids, weddings, engagement photos, joggers, and florescent-clad youngsters on a drunken treasure hunt or something. Like the Aquarium, there were different areas of the botanical gardens that grew native flora from various places around Western Australia. 


south of perth
 We walked until we found the Federation Walkway, which was smaller, but a bit similar to the Valley of the Giants in Albany - high above the ground and slightly shaking under your feet.
the walkway
 We sat in the "reflection area" which actually was quite peaceful, filled with inspirational quotes, and I could imagine myself going back there to enjoy the view, contemplate life in Australia, or just bring a book.
Downtown Perth 
war memorial
I really like Kings Park. I'm sure there is a lot more of it to see - the list won't be completely checked off yet!! Can't wait for mum to come visit :)


No comments: