Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Colorno Train Station

At first, it was a mythical place. No one had seen it; we had only heard rumours from the other Master's course that it was possible to take the train to Parma in ten minutes rather than be sardined for forty minutes into the stinky-jerky-are-we-even-in-italy-bus that only runs once every hour.

Somehow though, when I do actually go into Parma, it always ends up to be a contradiction of Italian Time. I usually leave at the last minute and when I walk out the door I realize that it is actual further than I think it is - Colorno is not that big. I end up half hotfooting and half trotting like an idiot when there aren't any passing cars to laugh at flustered ol' me.  Sweating from summer heat or soaked from blustering rain, no matter what time I arrive at the train station, I am always early. Of course I left on Italian Time and of course the train will arrive on Italian Time. What that means, is anyone's guess. Half an hour later? Forget about catching a connecting train on time. Forget about meeting up with friends on time. "on time" is relative in this country. Even when the train does come, it pitter-patters across the flat countryside, not even fast enough to flatten a coin laying on the tracks.

Might as well have taken the bus, no?

What is good about the Colorno Train Station is that the ticket machine is invariably out of service. fuori servizio. That means, it's usually a free ride. Or at least an excuse to play dumb.

What is even better about the Colorno Train Station is the amusement had while waiting for the train from the graffiti that, in acts of teenage defacement and boredom, decorate the weathered walls.



No comments: