Monday, August 15, 2011

Addicting Potato Salad

This recipe was one of the first ones I tried from Yotam Ottolenghi's Plenty cookbook. I made it first, back in the spring however with garlic scapes instead of the parsley and basil and I had a mixture of baby blue, red, and white potatoes. I think I exuded fumes of garlic for the rest of the week. I couldn't stay away from it, snacking on the little potatoes that I didn't get a chance to take a picture of all the pretty colors blended together. 
I did get a pic of the garlic scapes though. 

I had a quart of potatoes from the farmer's market, fresh parsley and basil so I couldn't be tempted to make anything else. 

15 quail's eggs (did not use0
1 cup frozen petite peas
1 3/4 lb new potatoes, washed but not scrubbed
1 cup basil
1/2 cup parsley leaves
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
2 garlic cloves (i think i actually put in 4 or 5)
1 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp white wine vinegar (i sprinkled over some Spanish sherry vinegar)
bunch of sorrel or mint leaves, shredded (did not have)
salt and pepper

Place the quail's eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 seconds (soft-boiled) or 2 minutes (hard-boiled). Refresh in cold water and peel. 

Blanch the peas in boiling water for 30 seconds then drain, refresh, and set aside. 

In another pot of boiling water, cook the potatoes for 15-20 minutes, depending on their size, until soft but not falling apart. 

While the potatoes are cooking, place the basil, parsley, pine nuts, Parmesan and garlic in a food processor and blitz to a paste. Add the oil and pulse until you get a runny pesto. Pour into a large bowl. 

Drain the potatoes, then cut in two as soon as you can handle them (they will absorb more flavor when hot). Add the potatoes, vinegar, and the peas to the bowl of pesto and toss well (oops, just realized I blitzed the peas too). Mix well, gently, slightly crushing the potatoes, so that all the flavors are mixed and the pesto is evenly distributed. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cut the eggs in half and gently fold in. 
Going to go blanch another cup of peas to add to my salad! 

No comments: