Monday, August 8, 2011

‘Determine what God has given you, and take from it what you need; the remainder is needed by others.’ St. Augustine.

I went to the Music Hall the other week to see a documentary called I Am. Going to a movie that's about what's wrong with the world sounds rather depressing but this movie isn't about hunger or poverty or the environment or the government or war. Instead, in a thought-provoking approach, it offers a different perspective of the world that ultimately explores and praises, through challenging what's wrong with the world, what is actually right with the world. Documentaries may often appear one-sided, but what I liked about this one is that it was honestly trying to seek out the truth and not only reveal it, but figure out what we can do to fix it and make it better.  The filmmaker, Tom Shadyac - director of Ace Ventura, Liar, Liar, the Nutty Professor, and Bruce Almighty to name a few - claims that he's always sought the truth and I feel as though I too have always liked understanding the basis and meaning behind things - studying art history so that I could decipher different symbols in art to determine their meaning behind what the artist was trying to express within the particular historical context; reading over and over again Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking to understand the science behind food and how they react to different elements; reading Eating Animals to know more about what's really going on in the meat industry; and really looking forward to, although that is not the right word to describe it an enthusiastic way, but more curiously, to reading Tomatoland to learn about a simple common ingredient's dreary, unnatural life and Four Fish to learn about the fish we - not me, I'm allergic - eat and how the populations are depleting incredibly because they are overfished. Nerdy, I know, but like Shadyac, I like that truth and although one friend debated that ignorance is bliss, sure it is, but I like thinking that little things I can do can help.  There are so many things around us that we have no idea about, so many things that we don't possibly need, and so many simple things we could do to make other peoples' lives better. I would definitely definitely recommend watching this documentary. It was engaging, entertaining, overwhelming, perplexing and it made me cry (awkward, sitting in the movie theatre, sitting alone). It made me think, question, reflect,  smile, gave me goosebumps, and absolutely laugh out loud. 

No comments: