Sunday, August 29, 2010

Murphy's Ice Cream: From Ireland...with love.




A stroll through Temple Bar square caught my attention on Murphy's Ice Cream. Just in front of Bad Ass Cafe, the window on the corner boasted hand written listings of the current ice cream flavours: honeycomb, burnt caramel, Kilbeggan Irish whiskey, vanilla, rum raisin, dark chocolate, real mint leaf, Bailey's, sea salt, brown bread, and Kerry cream to name a few. BROWN BREAD ICE CREAM? Before I knew it, my wandering legs led me right into the little shop. I'm not one for indulging on ice cream in the middle of the day, but brown bread ice cream? How could I resist?! The cute scruffy guy behind the counter was more than happy to let me taste as many samples as I wanted and being as indecisive as I am, I asked if I could have two flavours in a cup (a typical request in Italy). Of course, he exclaimed, and then gave me samples of different combinations on the spoon to see how they would taste together. Burnt caramel and sea salt he suggested. Tasty combo of sweet and salty. I said I definitely want the brown bread. Ok, how about brown bread and sea salt? Sea salt from the Dingle Bay. I love Dingle. McCmbridge's brown bread which has been caramelized. I love Irish brown bread. Or why not try brown bread and Kilbeggan whiskey - award winning from the oldest whiskey distiller in the world from Co. Westmeath. Looking down at my handful of taster spoons, I thought I'd be full of ice cream before I even made a purchase! I couldn't be that person that only comes in for the free samples, but not a bad idea for next time I'm hungry and in the area...





According to the website they use "fresh, local milk from the endangered Kerry Cows. This indigenous species is renowned for its thick, creamy, and delicious milk but has fallen out of favour since its output in terms of volume doesn't match other breeds." It certainly was thick, creamy, and delicious. The sea salt was subtle. The whiskey flavoured ice cream was sweet and retained its authentic flavour. The brown bread bits in amongst the vanilla ice cream was crunchy and crumbly, not soggy - probably due to its crisp caramelization. 


Murhpy's is kinda like the Grom of ireland with seasonal flavours changing every so often and using locally sourced products when possible. A definite Dublin recommendation - even for those who wouldn't normally stop for an ice cream snack and especially for those who can't resist trying something new, tasty, and different. 

No comments: