Wednesday, August 4, 2010

"Standing on the fringes of life… offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor." The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Stephen Chbosky

a sleep filled bus ride brought me to Galway where I met up with my friend Colleen who is in Ireland for two weddings. the week between the two was the perfect time for us to meet up and Galway was in the middle of where she was staying in Kerry and where I was going to in Co. Donegal. Colleen and I became instant friends in Ms Flynn's 4th grade class and have been friends ever since. As she noted, we have been in four different countries together - US (CT, NYC, Wisconsin), England, Spain, and Ireland.  It's fantastic that we can meet up still, maybe only seeing each other once a year or in any country, and still get along great and catch up. 
Galway was also the perfect place to meet up because that's where Gary lives. Gary moved to Portsmouth last year to work at the Irish bar Ri Ra in town. I cannot help but laugh every time I am around him. He moved back when his visa was up right after I left for Italy, but I am sure he will be back to NH soon :) 
gary making bets on the races.
It's a good thing that Colleen was there because Gary had to work at club Cuba till late every night and I don't know what I would've done without her! It was the weekend of the Galway Races and the city was paaccckkeddd. Everyone was dressed up - girls in summer dresses (even in this balmy Irish seacoast weather) with high heels clapping against the cobble stone streets and the boys in jackets and ties. everyone looked fantastic. and adooorable. Colleen and I felt a little left out. Galway reminds me a lot of Portsmouth - a bit bigger but still a easily walkable city with lots of bars, restaurants, and a young social crowd. this weekend with the races was a bit of an exception with a lot of out-of-towners and a long bank holiday weekend, but seeing these thirsty crowds would definitely live up to the typical Irish stereotype. every bar on Shop Street had people overflowing onto the street - drinking out of plastic cups is allowed - and inside every bar was jammed packed. it was quite the sight. quite the night. 
jammed packed.
we didn't make it to the races, but to the after parties at the bars where everyone conjured after all-day  drinking. we were amused. we made some friends from dublin. i confused one completely as my northern accent came out listening to their irish accents. the next day of course we had to buy some cheap high heels from penny's so that we could fit in, but of course, those only lasted for maybe an hour. 
the closest we got to the races.
matching shoes. 5 euro steal.

No comments: